I get a lot of questions on my YouTube Channel about which Apple Macintosh computer is the best for those that want to become a YouTuber and use iMovie to edit their videos. I decided to give two recommendations when answering this question. The first will be for a portable and the second will be for a desktop.
Before giving the answer to your question I would like to qualify my answers:
- I will try to keep the choices to the lowest price models that I would actually buy.
- The Mac will give you the best bang-for-buck with editing video using iMovie (and Final Cut Pro X for that matter).
- Lowest price is not my goal.
- 8GB of RAM is a minimum requirement as I think Apple shipping computers in 2015 with 4GB is a joke.
- The sum of the whole often proves to be a better system than the specs you see. (What I mean is CPU, GPU, Hard Drive speeds, etc.)
The best desktop Apple Mac computer for editing video using iMovie is:
- 21.5″ iMac
- 2.9GHz Quad Core i5
- 8GB of RAM (Get 16GB if you have the extra cash)
- 1TB Hard Drive (Get the Fusion Drive upgrade if you have the money)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory
- Price: $1499 [Amazon Link]
The best portable Apple Mac computer for editing video using iMovie is:
- 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina Display
- 2.7 Dual Core i5
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB SSD
- Intel Iris Graphics 6100
- Price: $1299 [Amazon Link]
And I will put in an honorable mention for those that want to get in as cheaply as possible and already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The honorable mention award for the best Apple Mac computer for iMovie is the mid-range Mac Mini at $699 [Amazon Link]